Friday, January 20, 2006

Su-Crack-Ho

It was about 17 years ago when I was first introduced to Tetris on Nintendo. The brilliant game of fit-the-piece-here-or-there fascinated me. The colors, the shapes, the music - it was all addicting. I played it for hours on end, so much so that when I went to sleep at night, I could still see the shapes floating through blackness, and my mind would try to arrange them to make rows disappear.

I kicked the addiction when I lost the game cartridge. Actually, come to think of it, it wasn't even my game to begin with. Oops.

A few months ago, I walked up on my friend Elizabeth during her lunch break at work, and she was at her desk, hunched over a piece of paper with a pencil.

"Whatcha doing?"

"Sudoku."

"Sue what who?"

I was thus introduced to Sudoku. For those of you who don't know what it is, it's this crazy crossword game with all numbers. It's fun and MADDENING. I have never been the smartest gal when it came to logic and numbers, but I hate admitting that... therefore, my plan is to become a Sudoku Kick Ass Master. (Not really.) (Okay, maybe a little.) Patrick got a couple of Sudoku books for Christmas and yesterday brought some copies of some puzzles in for me. I'm on the first puzzle in the easy section. The EASY section.

I've had to erase the whole fucking thing twice already.

Coincidentally, I had a dream about my friend from high school Kris last night. Why did she pop up in a dream? Because she's always been the smartest person I know, ever since we were in fourth grade, and all day yesterday I kept thinking of the fact that this game would be cake for her.

I guess I'd rather have Kris pop up in a dream than for my sleep to be plagued with visions of numbers dancing through my head.

No comments: