Monday, December 12, 2005

Labels

As I get older and more settled down, I have realized that the most difficult thing about being in a same-sex relationship is the lack of validation from many people outside my own little community. This absence of encouragement makes me question my reality more than I care to admit. I have never had a problem with it until recently, since I have finally started to feel more settled down and have begun to give serious thought to grown-up things, like purchasing a home, having children, and always having a good bottle of red wine in the house.

We went to Gina's sister-in-law's baby shower this weekend. When we arrived, the sister-in-law's mother greeted us with warm hugs, and I was immediately grateful that she remembered me from the wedding last year. She said, "Come on in, girls, I have to give you a name tag so everyone know's who you are."

She wrote out Gina's: "Gina - Frank's sister." (Frank is the papa-to-be.)

She wrote out mine, asking, "Now, you know Gina from Ohio, right?" I responded yes, and she wrote out: "Katie - Frank and Gina's Friend - Ohio"

Gina noticed what she was writing and said, "You know, she's my girlfriend. You can just write that."

She responded, "Oh, well, I just wrote Frank and Gina's friend from Ohio."

Hi, Round Hole? I'm Square Peg.

No comments: