Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Playing God.

My friend Kim is about to give birth to her second son. I was at her first son's birth two years ago, which was easily the most amazing experience I've ever had, and I can't imagine anything being better except the birth of my own child. So naturally, I was thrilled when she invited me to be present at the birth of Baby Number 2, aka, The Peanut.

The Peanut is due on April 22nd. With my work schedule being as unpredictable as it is (it's not totally unimaginable to be asked today to leave tomorrow for a shoot on Friday), I've been carefully scheduling things in my life so as not to miss The Peanut's birth-day. I booked a shoot at the end of April so that it would make sense for me to stay in town this weekend. A group of old friends picked this coming weekend as the weekend to go camping because it was the only weekend I could assure them I'd be in town. I warned them I might be in the hospital with Kim, but I would try my hardest to make it to Woods Valley Kampground with a K.

Well, the date is fast approaching. Two weeks ago, Kim's doctor warned her she might go early. Kim was all for it, as long as it was after the 15th. The doctor warned her it might even be earlier than that. It's the 18th, and still no labor. I am sending all energy possible to the world for the Peanut to arrive early, because... well, because it would just be so convenient if he came before Friday. Also, it's not totally selfish - Kim is on the verge of miserable, completely ready to not be pregnant anymore. But mostly, I'm impatient and very eager to meet the new baby.

The reason I'm posting this story today is that today is her doctor's appointment, in which she will ask to be induced. The doctor's appointment was at 9am, and it's pushing 10am, and I still haven't heard from her. I'm on the edge of my seat with my phone in my hand, waiting. Excited, thrilled, and wondering if I'm this antsy about my friend giving birth, how I will be when it's my turn.

No comments: