Monday, October 02, 2006

More pesticides, please.

Gina and I go to the Farmer's Market every Sunday to buy a week's worth of fruit. We usually buy peaches and/or nectarines, grapes, mangos, a watermelon and sometimes a pineapple. If murcots are in season, we stock up on those. Lately, we've been buying ju ju bees, which look like little brown apples and taste much better than any apple I've had in the past year.

We came back with all of this delicious looking this past Sunday, and after all the groceries were put away, Gina decided to enjoy an organic white nectarine. She ate about half of it and offered me a bite. It's the kind of nectarine that pulls right away cleanly from the pit - YUM. I took a bite, and noticed something weird on the pit.

It.

Was.

A.

Bug.

A real live bug. Dangerously close to ingestion by ME. I hate bugs. Hate them. I jumped up and winced, ran over to the trash and spit out my bite.

"There's a bug!" I yelled. It was a little slimy red thing, moving around on the pit.

I might be officially against organic fruit. The more pesticides, the better, thank you very much. Better yet, cut out the fruit completely. Let's just eat Cheetos.

No comments: